Monday, November 10, 2008

How this all got started...

Hello,
My name is Annie, and I am a middle child. For those of you who know me, it probably seems uncharacteristic of me to start a blog. That was part of the appeal! But I started this page for a couple of reasons, keep reading and I will tell you why.

It all begins with my grandmother, Neanie. Up until a few years ago, she was a hostess at a restaurant my uncle started. She still goes three to four times a week and has her own parking spot. It is her life! About two years ago my sister, my brother, my brother-in-law, and myself started taking my grandma to dinner every Tuesday night. We only go to my uncle’s restaurant. Going anywhere else is blasphemy to my grandma. These dinners have turned into the McFall’s version of “Tuesdays with Morrie.” This means that we substitute the emotional story line with alcohol. McFalls have three very obvious characteristics: we like to drink, we are great hosts (parties, guests, etc.), and we are emotionally troubled. You will learn more about that in the future!!!

For some time now, I have wanted to write about our dinners. I take advantage of this time, which my sister and brother love to make fun of me about, to really get to know my grandma. I ask her about her childhood, her life growing up, her family etc. A couple of years ago we had a scare with Neanie, and I want to know everything I can about her before she goes. I want a place to write about her and our dinners, but I am not the journal type.

Another reason for this blog is to write about my life. Not only am I the middle child but I am the black sheep as well. My sister and brothers love to point this fact out to me, especially at dinner when we are all together! I don’t mind being the middle child. I have come to accept my place in the family and realize that it is when they stop picking on me is when I need to worry. This blog is not to put them down. They are my family; they say yes when the world says no. Even though the jokes are normally at my expense, they are funny and should be shared.

There they are! The reasons for my blog. At times I will stray from the original purpose, but its my blog and I will do what I want to. I hope you enjoy…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you are right...when we stop making jokes is when you need to worry :) love you and can't wait to read all your stories, even though i'm a little scared what will be said about me!! yikes!

Emily said...

Oh good - I love Annie childhood stories. So where are they?! :)